Free SSL Certificate for Domains | WP | Cpanel (forever)
Free SSL Certificate or HTTPS for domain or custom sub-domains with lifetime free. is it possible? yes, non-profit organizations like let’s encrypt kind of companies provide valid free SSL[Secured Socket Layer] certificate for free. why they give it for free? to ensure the security of the internet and make a revolution of the internet. these SSL certificates are 256-bit encrypted standard self-signed SSL.
Things you need before we do:
- A domain
- Cpanel [Mine is Cpanel]
- WordPress [ I personally use WP CMS]
1. Visit sslforfree.com and enter your domain name.
2. select the manual[ I prefer] verification method.
3. Login to Cpanel > File Manager > select the Domain > go to directory.
4. Create a Folder .well-known > inside the folder create acme-challenge folder.
5. You may see 2 files to download and verify you are own the domain. just download them.
6. Upload the download files inside of acme-challenge using upload option. you can easily drag and drop the file for verification.
7. Once the files uploaded you may see 2 URLs to verify. open them in a new tab. if the filename opened you are succeeded at verification.
8. It’s time to download the SSL Certificates for installation.
9. After downloaded the SSL Certificates Login to Cpanel again under security you can see SSL/TLS. or Maybe Let’s encrypt. enter into that option and select Manage SSL Certificates. now copy downloaded SSL Certificate, Key, Certificate Authority Bundle to respective columns. Install Certificates. if any errors occurred like need dedicated IP just close the error.
10. Now we successfully installed free SSL Certificates. it’s time to change the WordPress to adopt changes. in WordPress Admin panel settings> General > change domain urls http to https. now you need to redirect all http queries to https. by installing the simple plugin named as Easy HTTPS (SSL) Redirection. get this from plugins and check all the options, press save changes. now you are done with proper HTTPS installation.
For an existing http version Domains, you need to submit once again HTTPS version of your domain URL to Search Engines like Google Webmaster and Bing Webmaster. It won’t affect your SEO. Because your old http version links all are redirected to new https version links.
Why Should I need SSL?
- To ensure your user’s privacy.
- Improve Authority of your domain.
- Minimized risk of getting hacked.
- HTTPS version domains more liked by search engines. I am not meaning by installing SSL you get into Google’s first page.
What is the difference between Paid and Free SSL Certificates?
Paid SSL Certificates are given by internationally approved authorities. free are self-signed SSL by non-profit organizations. both standard certificates are 256-bit encrypted. both paid and free SSL shows green secured lock on a browser’s address bar.
Free SSL Pros:
- It’s completely free forever.
- you can save a lot of money. even paid standard SSL Certificates to cost almost the same as ultimate hosting cost.
- You need to update Certificates for every 3 months.
Also, I am asked my hosting provider about this:
They said their SSL are 256-bit encrypted. but free SSL I provided the methods above also have 256-bit encryption.
Paid SSL vs Free SSL Green Lock on Browsers:
I don’t see any differences.
You can use Free self-signed SSL for blogs and affiliate marketing site. if you are in e-commerce site that also perform transactions inside the domain you must need paid SSL to secure users sensitive information like credit cards, online banking details. because they assure guarantee and give insurance in case anything goes wrong.
Okay, Now you get a clear idea about how to install free SSL Certificate and Free vs Paid SSL. It’s time to spread our post to social media by clicking social share buttons. I hope you DO!
Leave a quick comment about the article and ask if you facing difficulties while installing them.